Prior to the sessions Anubhav requested usability guidance in along with a proper UI to help users understand and know what his app is basically meant for.
For the reviews we had one ultimate goal in mind which was to bridge the thoughts of a developer with the world of great app-design. By bridging this gap we tried to simplify the usual complex UI created by developers into a nice looking and user-friendly design.
Here's what we did
- New typeface / font
- Throughout the design, we decided to give the app a lot of personality by using a custom typeface. A lot of apps out there uses the typeface such as Segoe, and by choosing one with a bit of edge and a lot of freshness in it, we get a UI that stands out and deviates from the masses.
- Colors is one of the most essential element in almost any good design. In this case we picked a fresh lime green for e.g. highlighting selected items and toggle state on. By using the same color in both functionality and a control such as the toggleswitch we creates a visual consistent UI.
- Background graphic
- Using graphical element in the background we adds a great sense of depths and creates a cognitive link from the content to the app itself.
- Placing function where it's used
- We rearranged some of the functions within the app to actually have them where you would expect them to be. Like moving functionality from the list of subscriptions into the actual details page. The functionality offered by the appbar such as delete, pin to start etc. which should be in the details appbar is actually also offered through a longpress on the subscription list item - this is not demonstrated in the screens here.
- Give the user more content
- We discussed the possibility of showing suggestions when the users’ searches for something not found.
- We aligned the complete UI. One of the most common mistakes is having a bad or even worse not aligned UI. You want clean nice lines throughout your app, no matter what you do!
Thanks a lot for reading and a huge thank you to Anubhav Ranjan for doing the review and allowing me to post the results. He's an awesome, bright and friendly guy, so please check out his app and his blog.